Tang Hall Big Local is run by local volunteers
At the beginning of 2013 when Tang Hall Big Local was created by the Local Trust, its first job was to recruit people who lived and worked in the area to be part of the project.
A call went out to invite those who were interested to join a steering committee. As a new group, we had to get to know each other and work as a team. From then on – it was about deciding how to consult and what to put in the first ever plan.
Supported by a Local Trust rep, it was quite a hard slog. With the best will in the world and lots of encouragement from organisations and groups working in the area – it took us until May 2015 for our first 2-year plan to be approved. – see our timeline.
All the spending decisions are made by residents who are passionate about making Tang Hall a better place to live. Training on devising a Local Plan was given by the Local Trust and written by a Community Development Worker.
2017 saw THBL become a charity in order to have more control over managing its spend. We have 2-part time staff and looking to recruit a Youth Worker.
There several ways to become involved:
- Start a small community group/project and apply for a grant
- Join one of our themed groups e.g. children and families, or help out at events
- Support us in the office with – admin, social media or consultation
- Attend events – maybe help with feedback
- Join the Partnership or become a Trustee to have a greater say in decision making
- Manage the helpers – training and support is available
- Tell us about any other way you think of to help to make our area a better place to live.