In December 2012 Tang Hall found out it had been selected to be part of a very special National Lottery funded programme. 150 areas in England were chosen to allow residents to decide for themselves how to spend their money – often called Participatory Budgeting or Community Lead Local Development (CLLD). York were in the third and last wave, benefitting from early lessons learnt in other areas.
Local Trust is the organisation looking after the Big Locals and is responsible to the National Lottery for the spend.
Big Local is about
- Resident lead decision making
- Bringing together local talent, ambition, skills and energy
- Using £1m to make a massive and lasting difference
What does Big Local want to see happen?
- Communities to identify local needs and take relevant action
- Increase resident skills and confidence to meet future challenges
- Make a real difference in their chosen areas of focus
- Residents feel their area is a better place to live
This website was built in response to local consultation – an umbrella site that allows for
- community groups to participate
- share community news and events
- be part of an online community where we can share our skills, ideas, training
- help us develop our Tang Hall Local Plan where there is something for all our residents
- build a stronger community where we all feel a sense of belonging.
We invite community groups to join our directory. See the link for details of how to register.
Since 2015, we have been building a relationship with the local community, by providing helpful advisory and support services, creating opportunities for the community to grow, by putting on events, festivals and film screenings, supporting social, educational and recreational projects through small grants, and commissioning large projects, such as Youth Provision, The Tang Hall Food Cooperative and TAPTY Creative Play. To find out more, please visit our timeline.
Barry the Van
Barry the Van was kindly donated to Tang Hall Big Local. Barry began life as community transport, and now continues as our THBL mascot! We are really pleased to have the van to use, not only because it helps us to let local residents know about Tang Hall Big Local, but because it supports many of our regular activities, such as:
- Food collections for our Friday breakfast club
- Purchasing food for our Wednesday picnics
- Helping to take local residents on field trips (such as the cookery group farm trip with Food Circle York)
- Collecting gazebos for our Family Festival!
If you have any more ideas how we could use Barry to help our community, why not get in touch? And if you see Barry round and about the local area, give us a wave!